McIntyre - The “Park” 3-Ball replica golf ball sleeve
The “Park” gutta percha (hardened sap of the Malaysian sapodilla tree) ball traces its history to 1848 when a St. Andrews student, Robert Paterson, melted discarded gutta from his worn shoe bottoms and rolled it into a golf ball. Willie Park, Sr. won the first Open Championship in 1860. Willie Jr. would win in 1887 and 1889 and become an international golf club maker and course architect.
We make this fully playable ball from imported synthetic gutta percha. The gutta is warmed to a soft putty like consistency, then compressed in 1890's style line cut molds and allowed to cool. It is then trimmed and hand painted 6 times. Finally, 4 coats of polyacrylic are applied for durability. This process takes 4 to 6 weeks.
The Park gutta percha ball is approved for these pre-1900 golf events ( National Hickory Championship and Foxburg Hickory Championship).
At the NHC, the PARK ball and the English 'Oakhurst' balls are approved for use in the Open division.
c. 1850 -1905